Sunday, February 2, 2014

Tate: 7 Months

-smiley
-no teeth
-finally started sleeping through the night consistently from about 8 p.m.-7 a.m. HALLELUJAH!!!
-His naps are STILL horrible.  Usually two 30-45 minute naps.  Sometimes I get lucky and get an afternoon nap of 1-1.5 hours.
-drank 2 oz. from a bottle for the first time since he was newborn
 We had a scare two days after Tate turned seven months old.  He had an allergic reaction to peanut butter.

About twenty minutes after Tate was given peanut butter, I noticed red dots under his eyes and thought maybe he was having an allergic reaction to it.  I figured I was overreacting and put him down for his nap.  But he wouldn't go to sleep or stay asleep.  I went into his room after awhile and got him out of his bed to rock him to sleep.  I noticed hives and redness on his face and neck.  Soon his neck became quite red and swollen.  I didn't know what to do so I called the doctor's office.  She asked me if his neck was swelling and I said yes. The nurse told me I needed to take him to the emergency room ASAP.  I quickly loaded both kids in the car around 9:30 a.m.  My hair wasn't done and I didn't have any makeup on.  Kensie was in a princess dress and scraggly hair.  The nurse checking us in at the ER kept saying, "you should never give a baby peanut butter!"  "I KNOW!  It wasn't me!" I kept saying.  We must have looked like such a wreck.  I was so relieved after she took Tate's vitals and his breathing seemed ok.

Long story short...

After being in the ER for almost 3 hours all by myself with two small children and no food we got the clearance to go home.  Just as we were about to leave, I noticed Tate's reaction flaring up again.  They gave him a shot with the EpiPen and he cleared up completely within 15-20 minutes.  We were in the ER for a total of 4 hours.  I wish I had taken the doctors advice and given Tate the EpiPen when we first got there instead of some other 'lower risk' shot.  I am so glad he was OK.  He is too little to be diagnosed with a peanut allergy but things aren't looking too good after this incident.  Sure hoping he won't have to deal with a peanut allergy his whole life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the article.
Let's find home decor 2021 for decorating your home!