Sunday, October 12, 2008

Diagnosis...


Alright so I am not writing this post to get attention or pitty, but merely to fill people in on something that will effect me in the coming years (plus it would be really awkward to tell each one of my friends on the phone or something ugh). Most of you have probably heard me complain the last several years about having pain in my back. I had seen several doctors but no one ever really knew what was wrong with me. They thought I had a strained back muscle or something.

My brother was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis a few years ago. After Niel studied about it in school he thought I should be checked out by a rheumatologist to see if I had it. After waiting three months to get into the rheumatologist I was finally able to see him on Tuesday. I tested positive for the blood test of the HLA-B27 gene marker that is present in patients that have ankylosing spondylitis. The X-rays of my lower back also showed chronic inflammation of my sacroiliac joint, a sign of ankylosing spondylitis. I also had several other symptoms. It is a genetic systemic rheumatic disease. The doctor said that it is hard to say with a 100% surety that I have it, but he said I have almost all of the symptoms. I am glad to finally know what has been wrong with me the last couple of years. The unique part about ankylosing spondylitis is that the symptoms come and go. Symptoms can be triggered by trauma, stress, cold weather, and infection.

I handled my diagnosis pretty well since I am not having much pain lately. The good news is that there is medicine I can take that can ease my symptoms when I do have flare ups. The bad news is that it will probably get worse as I get older and effect my lifestyle. The doctor gave me some meds and told me to come back in January. Yay for drugs!

We are currently accepting donations of charity. JK:)

2 comments:

Meg said...

Hey Darci, it's Megan from freshman year. I found your blog through Abby's and I thought I would drop you a line. :) I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. That's no fun. You have a great attitude though!! I hope things will get better for ya. Oh and good luck with your swimwear line. Sounds like a GREAT idea.

Annie. said...

Darci - I am so sorry sweetie. Medical diagnosis news is never easy to take. I know how that feels - in a different way, but I do know. Good luck. I am sure that you will stay healthy and take care of yourself - you have always been good at that. I hope that it doesn't give you too much pain. You just keep your chin up on the rough days!