Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Exiting the work force

Shortly after I found out I was pregnant, I was offered a job at Ernst & Young Accounting firm as an executive assistant and also a job at Robert Half International as an account representative. At the same time I was offered a part time job at State Farm. I was really excited about the job opportunities at both Ernst & Young and Robert Half. Both were the type of career opportunities I had been hoping for. Even though I was offered both of these great opportunities, I was also disappointed. Why did I get two great job opportunities right after finding out I was pregnant? I had been looking for a job like this in California and ever since we moved to Vegas. Why now? Why not three years earlier?

As much as I wanted to take one of these positions, I knew what I should do. Both of those job opportunities were downtown and would have been demanding, high stress positions. I turned both of them down and took the part time position at State Farm as an office assistant. The position at State Farm ended up being a good opportunity. It was about 30 hours a week with a short commute. The job wasn't a career by any means but a good opportunity for the time being.

At times I have wondered if I would go crazy as a stay at home mom. I like the structure of going to work everyday. The social interaction at work is nice. There is also a sense of achievement when you are working daily and accomplishing projects, reaching goals, and earning money. From what I hear, being a stay at home mom is a full time job and more. In some ways a lot harder than working full time. Both are very challenging in different ways.

The career opportunities at Ernst & Young and Robert Half came and went...and I don't regret passing up either career. August 20th was my last day of work at State Farm. It was a good feeling and I couldn't have been happier. I know that the Lord's plan was for me to raise this little girl. Am I nervous? Yes. Do I wonder if I am capable and able to raise a child? Yes. But I know that this is what I am supposed to be doing right now...and I look forward to beginning this new phase of my life!

3 comments:

Paige said...

Every spring I try to figure out how I can go to graduate school, and eventually I decide against it. Its a hard decision to make, but you do it for your kids. Sometimes it can be really boring, but sometimes you think you have the best job in the whole world. Its what you make of it! Just think of it this way- you can do whatever you want any day! Plus, you don't have to schedule vacation time to visit family or at christmas.

Elder Lynn Child said...

Atta girl, Darcu! This is your best post yet! We love you and know you'll be a special and good mother to your little girl and others that will build your family. We love you and Niel and are so happy you are starting your family now! Dad

Lindsey Cortes said...

I am so happy for you that you get to stay at home! I have been doing it for the past few months and the Lord has blessed me more in so many ways than I have ever been blessed before. Just think instead of going back to work after six weeks you will be making googly eyes at an adorable little girl. Start play groups it makes it so fun to be around women your own age and stage and really helps get rid of boredom. You'll never regret the decision to stay home.