Sunday, March 13, 2011

Painting

The people who previously lived in our home painted the whole thing a bright sea foam green. It was disgusting. Luckily, the bank repainted the house beige before we moved in. At first we thought we would keep it because it was a nice, neutral color. But, we decided to spice things up in the living room. We also realized that eventually we will have to re-paint the whole house because the bank used flat paint.

I wanted to paint the living room a bluish/gray color.

So...19 paint samples later...We finally found the perfect color I was looking for.
Here is only a handful of the paint samples I tried. I didn't end up using any of the blues pictured.

Who would have thought this would be such a hard color to find?!?! Our first attempt we were WAY off. It looked like a baby boy's room. I kept thinking we were getting closer but it would either be too light, too dark, too gray, too purple-ish, or too blue. Finally we found the color in the gray shades. I wish I had known this from the start. If you want a bluish/gray color go straight to the gray shades!

It was finally time to paint! Courtney and Cameron came over to help. Cameron and Niel ended up doing all of the painting while Courtney and I went shopping for some home decor.
Here are some after pictures:
Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket
I love the color. It was exactly what I was going for. We've still got a long ways to go until this room is done but we are making progress.

9 comments:

heidi678 said...

I just have to say I LOVE that color!

Abby said...

I've been dreaming of walls this color for quite a long time, but it didn't seem worth the effort/money in our dc rental, and I don't think I'm allowed to paint here in Boston. Oh well...someday. It looks great!

Adam and Brittany said...

I really like the color. I want to paint my office in a light light blue--but maybe I'll have to switch to the color you used. Looks great.

whitney johnson said...

beautiful color! can't wait to see the rest! :)

Annie. said...

Hooray! Pictures! You guys have done such a great job. You're totally accomplishing the feel it sounded like you wanted, with the white pillows, light paint color, white shelf, and white/silver accessories. I can't wait to see the WHOLE thing! I love the navy blue - a color I would never think to use in my own house, but it looks great!

Camille said...

LOVE IT! I am really trying to get Bryan to let me paint the condo, but he's not too into it. :(

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

Paint color is always so hard to judge. But that grey blue looks great!

Missy said...

LOVE blue/grey! We painted our office that color and I want it everywhere!
Cute decor too!

Veronica Peterson said...

Love your choice of paint!