Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Entertainment Center Re-do

One thing that drove me nuts about Las Vegas homes are the entertainment center 'niches' inconveniently built-in to the majority of the family rooms. The previous owners of our home had a built-in entertainment center and took it with them. Leaving us with this lovely niche to fill. I searched for months for an entertainment center that would fit. I really wanted a white one but unfortunately there aren't many white entertainment centers on the market. The only one I found that would fit was online and almost $2,000. No Thanks.

First we purchased and returned a black entertainment center from RC Willey. (Remember this post?) A month or so later we finally settled on this black console pictured below (Please take note that 'settling' is never a good idea when it comes to big furniture purchases.)
We had it delivered and...no surprise...I didn't like it. It was too much black for our living room, especially since we have a black couch. Not to mention the TV looked ridiculous on it.

So... I kept my options open. One of our good friends has the same floor plan as us. The previous owners of their home left their built-in entertainment center that our friends conveniently didn't want. It would fit perfectly in our 'niche'! After some serious persuading and convincing, Niel agreed to the project. They were getting rid of it anyways so we got it for FREE!!!

Unfortunately this thing was A LOT bigger than it appeared. They had to remove the top part of the entertainment center to get it through the door and into the truck. It took three men and lots of sweating to get it into our garage.

This is the beast after two weeks of sanding it down.
Then we primed, painted, and switched out the knobs.

And here she is...

I love it! The room looks so much better!
Photobucket
I don't like the black screens so I'm trying to decide what to do with those. I also need to put some decor in the arches. Any ideas? Maybe I will post an after, after picture. But for now, here she is.

Wondering where the black entertainment center went? It's in Niel's work out room with our old TV on it. That thing is going on Craigslist. Don't tell Niel.

7 comments:

Elder Lynn Child said...

Call your sister Lori for ideas of plants/floral arrangements (non-living type). She is pretty handy at the sort of thing. I t looks good now. I would probably suggest some brass kettles/pots. WOW! Love you!

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Way to go! Love it. Decorating a house and filling it with furniture is so much harder/not fun than I thought it would be :)

I laughed when you said it seems like I'm with my family all the time. My family's out in CO. I hadn't seen my mom since Max was born and hadn't seen my brothers in a year. We have had visitors every month though since January, so that's maybe way it seems like we've seen them often. I've seen Mike's family three times this year though.

Annie. said...

It's even prettier in person! :) GORGEOUS, I love it. Good job Darci!

Abby said...

I love it! I love built-ins in general. I bet it makes the whole room feel brighter! Good work:)

Paige said...

It looks awesome. I love how I totally complained about the black before... Sorry! The white looks a million times better though :) Good job!

Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

That's great that it all worked out! But I sure don't understand how the people leaving those homes can take their built-in with them? What is the point of built-in if it doesn't stay with the house?

Sue said...

Wow! That looks awesome!