Sunday, November 15, 2009

White Coat


After two long years of the embarrassing "short" white coat, I got my first full-size white coat with my name on it. In the medical field, students have to wear short coats--that way nurses know when to take orders and when to give them.

There is a vicious cycle of contempt in medicine. Doctors have a tendancy to mistreat nurses. Nurses take out their frustration on students. Eventually though, the students become Doctors, and it's payback time. I don't know who started it, but the war wages on.

For me, the best part about graduating is not wearing a long coat, it is finally being able to make a choice about wearing a coat at all! Personally I feel like a tool when I wear my coat, so this goofy-looking thing is going into early retirement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

with the whole 'who started it'....I think it's one of those questions, which came first? the chicken or the egg?
I'm sure the long coat still felt like a good thing when you first put it on, c'mon Niel admit it.lol
Congrats!