Saturday, November 29, 2008

Apparel Workshop

Last Saturday I got up early and drove to an apparel entrepreneurial workshop in L.A. It was put on by The Fashion Business Inc. It was a seven hour workshop about everything one needs to know about starting their own apparel line.

I was a little disappointed in the workshop. I went to the workshop to learn about all the basics including finding the right fabric, getting patterns made, getting samples made, etc. This was how the course was advertised. Unfortunately everyone but one other girl there already had their lines started. The focus of the workshop then shifted more on marketing, cost analysis, sales, etc. Most of which I had already learned in my business classes. I did learn a lot of stuff I didn't already know but it was an expensive workshop so I wish I had learned more of what I went there for. I did leave feeling like I knew more of what to expect in the fashion industry. There is allot to learn and SO much more to starting an apparel line and entering the fashion industry than one would guess. It was actually quite overwhelming...this whole thing is going to cost a lot more than I thought too. Second thoughts? A little, but mostly due to the economy.

Some good things about the workshop: 1) I got suckered into purchasing an AMAZING book that includes almost EVERYTHING I will need to know about starting my line. I have already read allot of it. It is so helpful and very interesting!

2) I was able to speak with Frances Harder one on one. She is the owner of Fashion Business Inc. and is an experienced designer.

3) I went to Michael Levine textiles & notions during my lunch break! I've wanted to go there for awhile but I didn't know where it was. It was right downtown by where I attended the workshop.

It is a fun experience to go towntown to the fashion market. I was in the same building that the designers have their sample show rooms. I saw "Paige Jeans" showroom and a couple others.

No comments: