Sunday, July 5, 2009

Girls' Camp awesomeness

Girls' camp was a great week filled with the following: crafts, hikes, certification, skit night, singing on the rocks, stargazing, the lake, pranks, snipe hunting, and spiritual upliftment. The theme was believing in Christ and was centered around the six Bees. The food was amazing and I came home a few pounds heavier. We had a couple drama incidents (which should be expected with 100+girls and leaders) but overall camp was a great success!

Photobucket

We spent one day on Swim Beach at Big Bear Lake. We barbequed and then the girls swam, played volleyball, and relaxed.


They had this trampoline in the water at Swim Beach. It was pretty funny watching the girls try to run out on the finger thing sticking out. There were many face plants into the water with their attempts.

Photobucket

Our ward photo of the girls who attended camp

Staff girls from our ward: Candi, Brittany, Bernice, Alex, and Tishnae

Taking a break on our hike

Craft time! One of the three crafts we made: Magnet boards

The Wonder Bees! They made awesome capes for everyone in their unit.

The camp director Lindy Bowler, and assistant camp director me! We both had boas for our opening performance at the camp kick-off. I led everyone in a song and dance of "A rig-of-bamboo."
Craft time! Georgette and I with the journals we made
Camp participants looking cute in their camp t-shirts

There were times in preparation for camp when I felt completely overwhelmed and wondered why I was asked to be the assistant camp director when I have a full time job and serve as the first counselor in the Young Women's program. There were even times during the week at camp when I felt ready to go home. But at the end of the week when you can see the impact that camp has had on the girls, it makes it all worth it. I loved getting to know all of the girls. They are all sweet, fun, and unique girls who I truly love and care about.

5 comments:

Annie. said...

I am sure you are the best YW leader! Talon says you look like you could be one of the girls. :) You're so cute.

Chelsea said...

you are basically a saint in my book for going to girls camp. i didn't even go all the years as a yw. way to go.

KB said...

Nice work Darc! Looks like it all turned out great :)

Whit said...

That's totally where I went to girls camp all growing up!!

Abby said...

You are a trooper--I bet the girls loved you. Good job and hooray that it's over!;)