Sunday, July 5, 2009

Transformers

Niel played with the transformer toys when he was a kid. Consequently, he really likes the Transformer movies. We went to the see the movie opening weekend...the day I got back from girls camp. I was struggling to keep my eyes open.

Darci's Review: The movie was way too long. There was excessive and repetitive robot fighting and the plot was pretty lame. Not to mention that Megan Fox is a horrible actress. Shia Labeouf makes up for her poor performance. He is an excellent actor and he did a great job in this movie. I liked the first one better.
Niel's Review: I was excited for this movie; Michael Bay is one of only a handful of directors to get a $ 200 million budget, so I was looking forward to see how the robot animation could be improved. Now that I've seen the movie, I think they did a remarkable job with the CGI. The lighting, color, and attention to detail were all unquestionably better than the first transformers installment. In this movie there are also a lot more close-ups of the transformers, giving the audience an opportunity to see their faces and connect with their characters on a more personal level. As a whole, I really enjoyed the first half of the movie, right up until Optimus dies and the rest of the crew goes on a wild goose chase into the Egyptian desert. It felt like the whole second half of the movie was rushed; as if they just threw together incongruent plot lines in order to meet a deadline. I guess I'm a little bit disappointed that with all the great animation they weren't able to put together a more cohesive storyline. Overall I think it was an entertaining film, with action and explosions that one would expect from a summer blockbuster.

1 comment:

KB said...

hmmm...thanks for the reviews guys. i think i'll pass. liked the 1st one more than i thought i would but i don't feel like round two :)