Saturday, April 18, 2009

Schurig Pest Control

I woke up at 6:30 a.m. on my Saturday morning to be at a "mandatory" company training from 8-10:30 a.m. that actually went until 11:30 a.m. At the meeting my suspicions were confirmed that the company laptop I bring home every several weeks when I am on call is infested with cockroaches. Yeah-I didn't even know that was possible. I won't discuss the details of the story because honestly, I don't even want to remember the details. I am SO disgusted and disturbed by the whole ordeal. To my knowledge roaches don't exist in Washington or Utah, or at least I never saw any. Unfortunately, roaches like warmer climates and DO exist in California. SO...since this roach infested laptop has been at MY house this past week, there is a good chance that we have some cockroaches in our apartment that ventured out from the laptop.

When I got home from the training I spent the whole afternoon doing a deep clean which included pulling out the stove and fridge, sweeping, and scrubbing till not even a single crumb could be found for a freakin' roach. I decided to be extra safe by purchasing two methods of roach killers: the roach traps AND the roach bug spray. I sprayed EVERYWHERE until I was lightheaded, dizzy, and ready to pass out from the fumes. I was extra careful to set out 12 traps between our little kitchen and bathroom. If there are any more roaches those suckers have no chance for survival. Once I fumigated the house and found myself very dizzy, we left the apartment with no plan except one thing was clear: we were leaving our fumigated living space and going somewhere, anywhere, anyplace but the stinky apartment. FYI: If roach spray claims to be "citrus scent", that is a straight-up lie.

Ya want to know what made today worse? It was beautiful, sunny, and 85 degrees today and I wanted to be at the beach SO bad. I had been thinking about it all week but I couldn't find anyone who could go with me.

Ok, moving on. This is the point when my day turns around a bit. We got out of the house, drove to Rancho Cucamonga and had dinner at Red Robin. Understandably, I didn't have much of an appetite so I just ordered a smoothy and snacked on Niel's food. It was the most delicious smoothy I have ever tasted but I can't remember what it was called. Something to do with Hawaii. Then we walked around the Victoria Gardens mall, which is a beautiful outdoor mall. We stopped at Borders books and read while a gentlemen serenaded us with love songs while playing the piano.

Our evening got my mind off the nasty critters except for the fact that I kept feeling like critters were crawling on me (don't worry, there weren't any actually on me). I know that there are worse things in life than cockroaches, but I am seriously traumatized by the whole ordeal and hope to never see a roach in my life again!

3 comments:

Abby said...

I saw one in our kitchen once. Matt was on the phone at the time but I didn't care, I yelled out, "Matt...huge bug!" The person he was talking to probably thought I was crazy:) They're so gross. Good job cleaning!

Adam and Brittany said...

i have to agree that after I see a bug I don't feel very hungry either. However, I commend you for cleaning so well. I hope you and Niel make it to the beach next week.

Annie. said...

Oh my GOSH. I can't even fathom it. I would have done the exact same thing. You must be traumatized. I have a story for you that fits right along with this... (be prepared, this is going to be long)

I used to be a secretary for a professor at BYU for 2.5 years while a student. Well, he's an entomologist (read: bug-studier) and had MADAGASCAR COCKROACHES - the huge ones that hiss - in his office in a little cage. Part of my job (no joke) was to feed them. I just kind of shoved old ramen noodles and stuff through the slits on the top of the cage because I couldn't bear opening the thing. Well...these cockroaches mate and have babies - lots of them. And the babies are tiny. And they got OUT of the cage because they are so small and can squish through any little crack! So, one day I am typing at my desk, and look down to see little FEELERS sticking out between the keys on my keyboard. I flipped out and the rest is history. Needless to say, we definitely got a new, closed cage for them because I refused to work for him anymore if he didn't!