Tuesday, August 4, 2009

There's no place like home...

Last week I went back to my hometown Quincy, Washington. It was the first time I had been to Quincy in a year and a half. That is the longest I have ever been away from home and it was far too long. Even though I spent 18 years growing up in Quincy, I tend to forget the simple but great things about living there until I return. When I arrived Tuesday night, I spent time outside enjoying the peacefulness of the country (definitely a different lifestyle than living in Southern CA). First of all I forgot how great it smells in the summertime on the farm. The air smells of fresh crops(not smoggy). The closest home is half a mile away, a truck or tractor drives by every ten minutes, and the house is surrounded by my dad's fields. My first night home, I went on the water truck with my dad and nephew McKay to water down the dirt by our haystacks. It brought back good memories from when I was younger of going with my dad around the farm.

Here are just a few perks of living in the country:
-riding four wheelers around
-a huge, open yard with evergreen trees
-having John Deere tractors on hand for things like building snow piles for sledding in the winter
-having your own gas and diesel pump
-privacy in your own back yard knowing that no one is around for half a mile
-no traffic
-eating all of your own fresh, home-grown vegetables
-being able to see the stars, hear the crickets, and hear the frogs croak at night:)
It was great to be home and spend time with my family...I will be posting lots of pictures soon!

No comments: