Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Jog (yes, singular)

In the (almost) three years that Niel and I have been married, we have gone running together twice. That includes the run we went on the other night. I got home from work and a company meeting around 8:00 p.m. and felt like a fatty. I ate In-N-Out for lunch and a steak dinner at the company meeting. I had been sitting for about 12 hours that day without much maneuvering in between. SO, when I got home I told Niel I wanted to go for a run. All I knew is that I needed some exercise pronto and I didn't feel like driving to the gym. These are shocking words coming from me because I don't run. Niel, knowing that he needed to take advantage of this, hurried and put on his running shoes. After about thirty seconds I was complaining and telling Niel how much running sucked. He was laughing at me. Only a few minutes passed until I had to stop to stretch. ahem. As much as I hated every minute of it and how hot, sweaty and gross I was afterwards...there was something I liked about it. It was fun running together and talking about how our day went...and I didn't feel like a fatty afterwards.

{I gave my arabesque a whirl last September. I was trying to prove to Niel I still had it in me. Not sure how successful that was}

Growing up, dancing was my passion. I started dance classes at age five and continued on through high school. In high school, I went to ballet or dance team every week-day for a couple of hours. One thing I love about dancing is that you get toned and stay in shape but you are having fun while doing it. Your body might be exhausted but you don't care because you are moving to the music, feeling the beat, and loving every second of it. I miss dancing.

There is a small part of me that wants to give running a try. I have always thought that running was miserable. The whole time you can't think about anything else except for the fact that you are running and it really sucks. Several of my friends who were previously dancers like me and never used to run have taken up running and love it now. This makes me wonder if it it might be the same for me. Maybe I will start giving it try, maybe I won't. We will see.

6 comments:

Adam and Brittany said...

I think you should try it. Why not?

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

Running is the bomb-diggity, but I'm partial.

Are you serious about not feeding the geese? I've gotten that comment twice from you now

I only fed them a little.. just to get the picture :)

Beth said...

I'm with you on that Darci. I'm not much of a runner either. I love step classes though, because it's like dancing and I like to dance too. Thought about running, but I'm just not motivated enough to keep steady (too easy to get away with stopping)

Annie. said...

Try it! Maybe you will love it! I hated running for the longest time, until I took at running class at BYU. I was forced to run 10+ miles a week and it was the BEST thing I ever did! I learned how to trained and learned how to love the feeling of running! Now, I cannot WAIT for the chance to kick in again. I have my jogging stroller all ready tog o - all I need to do now is have the baby! If you lived nearby we could totally train. How fun would that be? It would be perfect because you'd just be getting into it and I would definitely have to start slow. :) If only!

Annie. said...

WOW...I had like 4 typos in that comment. Sorry! Guess I should proofread better!

Abby said...

You can do it--but it's awful somedays--especially at first. On the other hand, I have finally reached the point where I generally LIKE to run most of the time! And I'm up to five miles now, which to me is fantastic. If I can do that I have no doubt that you can too.

Your arabesque still looks pretty good to me:)