Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shakin'

Sunday night Niel and I were playing a round of Scattergories when our apartment started shaking. At first I thought to myself why is the house rattling? As it continued to shake we both realized it was an earthquake.

This is my third time experiencing an earthquake in my life. All three experiences have been since we moved to California, of course. The first time I was at work and completely froze up. It is a very surreal, weird, and scary feeling the first time. The ground and everything around you is shaking...and you can't do anything about it. The second time it was a really small and short one. People who have grown up in California don't get too worked up about them since they have experienced earthquakes their whole life. I on the other hand am not used to them and slightly freak out when they occur.

Once I realized why the apartment was shaking, crazy thoughts started going through my head at a rate of one million per second. What if this is the big quake that has been predicted? Is it going to get huge? Where do I go? What do we do? What if this is the end of the world? What if we die? All this time I just sat still and stared at Niel with huge eyes while these thoughts were racing through my head. Even though it probably only lasted for about 10 seconds it felt a lot longer.

Turns out the earthquake was a 4.7 around the LA area. California people who are reading my blog are probably laughing right now because I am such a wuss. But hey, this earth shakin' stuff is new to me and I am not the biggest fan. I am running for the hills before California has their big projected earthquake.

6 comments:

Sue said...

I hear the big one in Cali is supposed to be the one where it detaches from the rest of the U.S. and slowly starts making its way toward Hawaii. :) Growing up in Alaska I usually didn't even notice if there was an earthquake unless it was quite big. You'll get used to them eventually.

Annie. said...

Holy! I would have done the EXACT same thing and had the EXACT same thoughts. I am TERRIFIED of the one that is supposed to hit the Wasatch front one of these days. I suppose maybe I should get our 72-hour bags put together, and our food storage arranged, since "if ye are prepared ye shall not fear" right?

Adam and Brittany said...

I can do something Thursday after 5:00 but on Friday we are leaving to go camping around 5. let me know if any of that works with you.

Ryan and Lizeth said...

Contrats on surviving another California quake. You will eventually get used to them and actually enjoy them a bit. We are suppose to like the the little ones because they supposedly lesson the chances of a huge one. So next time you can just sit back and enjoy the ride and be happy to have little earthquakes. Unless of course it is the big one. Then you're cool to freak out.
:o)

Veronica Peterson said...

Earthquakes terrify me too, more because we will never know exactly when the big one will hit.

Mike & Rachel Barton said...

That would scare me. Have fun in Utah this month!!